Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Single Player

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Single Player

BangBang May 30, 2015 @ 11:31am
Game Wont Launch :( PLZ HELP
Hey so i downloaded one of my favorite games again. Now trying to start this game is very difficult it seems. When i click LAUNCH really nothing happens at all. Task Manager says the game is running tho?! But no screen pops up for me, not even a error message. If anyone could give me some advise on how to start this game i'll be glad to hear it.

Btw My Computer handles all my Games well. Currently on Win 8.1
< >
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
5M0k1N May 30, 2015 @ 12:22pm 
try running it as admin and try verifying game cache
BangBang May 30, 2015 @ 1:30pm 
Now the game starts...i get a white window and after the intros the game crashes giving me the Error : can't find background image materials/console/background01.vtf
5M0k1N May 30, 2015 @ 5:10pm 
someone with that issue fixed it by reinstalling. couldnt find much else about it sadly (only for different games)
BangBang May 30, 2015 @ 6:02pm 
i reinstalled it twice now, searched online everywhere...nothing seems to work..not even a no cd crack...think i wasted 5 bucks damn...thx for your help anyways
Originally posted by BangBang:
i reinstalled it twice now, searched online everywhere...nothing seems to work..not even a no cd crack...think i wasted 5 bucks damn...thx for your help anyways
You could refund it with the new system.
Pyllen Jun 9, 2015 @ 10:40am 
i have the same problem.. :(
Im Spiel Jun 10, 2015 @ 7:56am 
try to copy binkw32 from the bin into the main directory, helped me
Oriax Dec 23, 2017 @ 9:51am 
I had the same problem and found that tread on google so i will post solution that work or me here.

go to
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player\vpks
copy
depot_2101_000.vpk
go
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player\mm\materials\
create folder "console"
and paste depot_2101_000.vpk into that folder
rename that file to background01.vtf
Coronusprime Sep 12, 2020 @ 2:50am 
Not sure if anyone will be still interested in this. I was trying this to get this to work today. Trying from exactly the same machine it worked on 10 years ago, unchanged!

Loads of posts on here about it. Finally solved the same issue by accident. I saw an article on changing the resolution in steam beforehand, and saw that there was a way to get steam to autconfigure the game. I put -autoconfig in the launch parameters and it worked fine.

Info was from this page https://www.blindnero.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2#p9

For automatic config:

Either:
Steam: in Library right-click on ''Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Singleplayer'' => Properties
Retail version: right-click on the shortcut on desktop => Properties
In ''General'' tab, click button ''Set Launch Options...''
In the text box type in: -autoconfig
Click OK
launch the game.

Hope this works for people trying to launch it from now on!
Grey Death Storm Oct 24, 2021 @ 3:33pm 
Ok this for people having problems runing this game on windows 10

error cannot find background "background01.vtf"

newer steam client set up:
C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player\vpks
or if your running older steam client
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player\vpks
copy:
depot_2101_000.vpk
go
Dark Messiah Might and Magic Single Player\mm\materials\
create folder "console"
and paste depot_2101_000.vpk into that folder
rename that file to background01.vtf

also do this

Steam: in Library right-click on ''Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Singleplayer'' => Properties
Retail version: right-click on the shortcut on desktop => Properties
In ''General'' tab, click button ''Set Launch Options...''
In the text box type in: -autoconfig
Click OK
launch the game.
Mad Larkin Oct 24, 2021 @ 8:38pm 
For me who had the error where mm.exe would run in the background with nothing happening, I found this in the guides, well the top comment OF a guide

SIMPLE GUIDE) how to get the game to work for windows 7 users or windows 10 users On windows 7, it wouldn't show anything for me, from past experience this means the intro videos in games don't work.

In the /mm/media folder there is a file called startupvids.txt

media/logo_ubi.bik
media/logoarkane.bik
media/Intro.bik

It lists those 3 files. So what you do is rename those. (I did .old onto the end) then it launched and is playing fine.

Change those filenams in the .txt you'll need to watch the intro video on youtube I guess.
UbiKarl  [developer] Oct 25, 2021 @ 9:12am 
Hey everyone, thanks for sharing your workarounds and do hope that if anyone else runs into the problem, will find these useful :).

If however anyone continues to experience this, let us know and we will gladly take a look!

- Ubisoft Support
Grey Death Storm Oct 30, 2021 @ 8:01am 
Originally posted by UbiKarl:
Hey everyone, thanks for sharing your workarounds and do hope that if anyone else runs into the problem, will find these useful :).

If however anyone continues to experience this, let us know and we will gladly take a look!

- Ubisoft Support
Hi Ubikari

I understand you are a possibly developer for Dark Messiah of Might & Magic?, would you consider re patching Dark Messiah of Might & Magic as its still one of my favourite games, or disscuss with Ubisoft making a remaster Id love to see that. PS sorry for the late reply work commitments
Grey Death Storm Oct 30, 2021 @ 12:57pm 
Originally posted by UbiKarl:

- Ubisoft Support
Help Im getting out of memory errors and game crashes to desktop
Hello there Grey Death Storm!

Sorry to hear that you're seeing these error messages. I'd recommend taking a look at our PC troubleshooting guide {LINK REMOVED} These steps should help resolve the more common causes for crashing in game.

If the issue persists, would you please be able to let us know the exact error message you're seeing when your game crashes?

Originally posted by Grey Death Storm:
I understand you are a possibly developer for Dark Messiah of Might & Magic?, would you consider re patching Dark Messiah of Might & Magic as its still one of my favourite games, or disscuss with Ubisoft making a remaster Id love to see that. PS sorry for the late reply work commitments

Despite our steam posts being tagged as 'Developer', we're Ubisoft Support. We'll always sign off as such so you know who's who. We can certainly pass this feedback on, however!
Thank you for getting in touch and sharing your thoughts with us.

- Ubisoft Support
< >
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
Per page: 1530 50